Dr Sophia is the founder of Sophia&Sophia Medical. She is a PhD medicinal chemist and health economist with over 20 years experience in the international biopharmaceutical industry and the NHS.
Dr Sophia trained in Chemistry at UCL (First Class Hons) and graduated with a PhD from the University of Bristol (antimicrobial agents) before qualifying in health economics at the University of Aberdeen (HERU) and graduating in General Management from Cranfield Business School.
Dr Sophia has carried out post doctoral research in analgesia (Opioids and Cannabinoids), has worked in International Regulatory Affairs (GSK heritage cytotoxics alkeran, leukeran, myleran, thioguanine, ondansetron, lapatinib and topotecan) and carried out Freedom To Operate searches for due diligence and risk mitigation (chemical sub structure/Markush searches).
In the NHS Dr Sophia has worked as a Commissioner reviewing areas of overspend, patient treatment pathways and waste and worked for the National Institute for health and Care Excellence (NICE) as Associate Director of Evidence for two years.
Dr Sophia has been employed by many organisations including GSK, AZ, Eli Lilly, Genzyme, J&J, Otsuka, Sucampo, Sandoz and Organon. She was voted by industry as Chairperson of the Thomson Reuters Scientific Users Group as well as industry representative for the Patent Documentation Group (PDG) and Pharmaceutical Discussion Ring (PDR). She also chaired the NICE Research Alignment Forum.
As an experienced independent market access consultant in Scientific and Medical Affairs Dr Sophia works compliantly in co-production and patient access programs and joint working agreements with the NHS. Dr Sophia has over 20 years experience in medical affairs and market access, competitor intelligence, medical information and pre-launch activities (Global Value Dossier and AMCP dossier compilation). She has a proven track record for developing patient access strategies and successful technology appraisals for reimbursement. Dr Sophia is an experienced medical advisor for immunology, gastroenterology, CNS diseases and haematology.
Sophia&Sophia Medical is an evidence based service provider to the international biopharmaceutical industry and provides market access, medical affairs and scientific services – searching for information (FTO, literature reviews) and report/dossier writing.
“Sophia&Sophia Medical proactively mitigate risks.”
A breadth of experience:
- Experienced in report writing – AMCP and Core Value Dossiers as well as literature searches and Freedom To Operate search and reports (medicinal chemistry)
- Worked in the NHS as well as in Pharma
- Employed by NICE as Associate Director of Evidence
- Worked with NICE (successful Pharma submissions)
- Worked as a commissioner looking at high cost areas (maternity, A&E, COPD etc)
- Worked collaboratively with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation – information about rare diseases
- Asked for opinion by The White House on information strategy
- Employed by GSK, AZ, Lilly, Genzyme (Sanofi), J&J, Otsuka, Sucampo, Organon (Merck) and Sandoz (Novartis)
- Worked in collaboration with charities and MyOxygenLtd on smart phone Apps (Guttracker)
- Have worked directly with patients in priority setting partnerships (mental health)
- Managed the Database of Uncertainty in Effects of Treatments with Sir Iain Chalmers
- Worked with Sir Muir Grey on NHS Evidence
“No guesswork – just evidence based recommendations and opinion.”
Dr Sophia acted as Head of Market Access and Health Outcomes at Sucampo in 2015 and successfully completed two HTA submissions, in addition to supporting us with our value messages and medical writing…….we can thoroughly recommend her work.Dr Peter Lichtlen, Chief Medical Officer, Sucampo Pharma Europe
I worked alongside Dr Sophia for the three years that she was Chairman of the UK Thomson Reuters User Group, an industry body designed to influence the Patent and Literature content database providers. In-addition to providing strong leadership she effectively motivated group participants and took an inclusive approach to moving matters forward.
I worked with Dr Sophia for over 3 years at GlaxoSmithKline, during this time I worked with Dr Sophia regularly and throughout I found her analysis to be comprehensive and understandable. She delivers accessible and targeted analysis which effectively turns data to information and information to knowledge, adding value at each step. I highly recommend Dr Sophia for all your analysis needs.Patrick J Devitt